Enjoying The Charm Of
Historic Downtown Wake Forest...
While Visiting The Cotton Company!
Wake Forest was born as a college town and for more than a century the Town and the college grew up together with intertwined histories. The original 1830's campus has changed owners and names, but remains a geographical focus of the community that has grown around it.
Development began in 1820 when Dr. Calvin Jones from New England bought 615 acres in "Wake Forest Township" from Davis Battle. Dr. Jones may have built a sturdy, two-story frame house in the center of what became Wake Forest College. In 1832 the North Carolina Baptist Convention decided to establish an educational institute and it happened when Dr. Jones had placed an advertisement in the Raleigh papers offering his farm for sale. The setting was in the "forests of wake county".